Want to ship snacks, health supplements, and other food products abroad to relatives and friends? Unfortunately, certain immigration and customs offices impose strict regulations on imported food. Many types of food cannot be shipped abroad, and some countries even prohibit importing food for personal consumption!
If you need to send food of any kind from Hong Kong abroad, you should follow these Spaceship tips and pay attention to import restrictions of the following countries below. In our tutorial below, we will use the example of sending cookies from Hong Kong to Japan to teach you how to ship food abroad.
Sending snacks from Hong Kong to the United States🇺🇸
- Sending any kind of food to the US by mail, whether it is for commercial use or personal consumption, can result in the need for a “Prior Notice of Imported Food” certificate. Please visit the website here to apply for a notice if needed.
- Upon clearing customs, the package of food may also be subjugated to American taxation. Please refer to Duties & Tax for more details.
Sending snacks from Hong Kong to Spain🇪🇸
- The Spanish Customs Office prohibits the importation of food for personal consumption through mail. Please do not ship food items to Spain.
Sending snacks from Hong Kong to the United Kingdom🇬🇧
- Upon clearing customs, the package of food may be subjugated to UK taxation. Please refer to Duties & Tax for more details.
The following list of foods can be mailed abroad by our international courier services:
- Nori/Dried Seaweed
- Candy (ex. Chocolate, fudge, hard candy)
- Ground coffee beans, cooked coffee beans, instant coffee
- Potato chips
- Cookies of any kind including homemade cookies
- Noodle briskets, dry noodles (with no soup or sauces)
- Tea (ex. Fruit teas, traditional tea, and tightly packed tea discs)
- We do not recommend shipping loose tea leaves and suggest shipping tea bags instead
- Please note: Chinese made tea bags cannot be imported into Taiwan
The following list of foods cannot be mailed abroad by our international courier services:
- Milk powder or other milk products
- Jelly powder
- Dried fruits and nuts: almonds, dried raisins, walnuts, nuts, fruit slices, dried apples, dried mangoes
- Health supplements: vitamins, calcium tablets
- Instant noodles with sauce, seasoning, or soup packets
- Pineapple cake
- Dried seafood: American ginseng, dried mushrooms, dried fish maw/fish tripe, dried sea cucumber, ginseng, dried scallops, bird’s nest
- Essence of chicken drink, chicken essence
- Soups (ready-made soups in bags, herbal teas, ready-to-drink soups)
- Seasoning powders and sauces
- Drinks pouches and drink cartons (ex. VITA Lemon Tea, apple juice pouches, grape juice pouches, mango juice pouches)
- Canned drinks/soda
- Canned foods
- Foods containing medicinal ingredients (excluding Chinese herbal medicine)
Notes on Food Declaration
- Please do not universally fill in “snack” or “food” when declaring the package; instead, please specify each food item separately. For example, write “potato chips” and “instant coffee powder sticks” when filling out custom forms for those items.
- Please declare the contents of the package fully and truthfully. Please do not mix non-declared items into the package. If found, local customs clearance offices may fine or request the sender or recipient to submit additional declaration documents.
Tutorial on sending food packages
How to send cookies to Japan in 4 steps with Spaceship
- First select the sending and receiving countries
- Enter the approximate volume, quantity of goods, and estimated total weight of the package and then click “click quote”
- Spaceship will help you consolidate quotations from various international courier companies for your comparison. Please select the best service for you and click “book now”
Choose a courier service
- Based on the information you have provided, Spaceship will immediately compare your shipping options displaying shipping time and costs of various local and international courier services. Delivery options are arranged by price from low to high, so you can find the best option for you with a glance.
- Please note: sending goods overseas may result in an import tax, and the actual tax amount will be determined by local customs clearance offices at the package’s final destination after an officer inspects the package. The officer will then notify the recipient of the package of relevant taxes due. Customs clearance for the package will only be successful after the tax is paid. For details, please refer to Duties & Tax.
Fill Parcel Details
- Enter package contents
- Select the type of goods [food and beverage, supplement]
- Fill in the name of the goods [cookies]
- Fill in the total number of goods
*If you are mailing more than one food item, please do not universally fill in “food”; instead, please click “add item” and fill in the name of each food separately.
Payment and Appointment Set-up Success
- If you have a promo code to use, please enter it here and pay
- After credit card payment is complete, Spaceship will send you an email confirmation. The email will also include shipping labels and an invoice. Please print the labels and the invoice. Be sure the labels, invoice, and package are ready for the courier to pick up at the agreed upon pick-up time.