After completing your shipment booking on Spaceship, don’t forget to pack your parcel properly to facilitate the pick-up process. Here are some tips of packing from Spaceship’s Specialist!
How to pick the right packaging?
When choosing your packaging, the size, shape and materials of your parcel affect how you pack. Here are some important factors to consider:
- Item Size：Packing your parcel with a packaging that doesn’t suit the size of your parcel might be risky. Your parcel might easily be damaged during transit. Therefore, when choosing your packaging, you’ll have to consider the size of your parcel in advance
- Item Category：How you pack your parcel might be different if your parcel is fragile. For instance, fragile items need more layers of protections and space to add protective materials to restrict movement and friction. If you are shipping non-fragile items, like books and clothes, you can simply place your items in the same box for shipping. If you are shipping fragile items, like speakers, ceramics, glass products etc., we highly recommend you using internal packaging to secure your items. Adding bubble wrap and foam, and separate your items into different shipments help too!
- Item Weight：Packing with a light box or a used box could lead to parcels getting damaged. Therefore, we recommend using a brand new carton when you pack your parcel.
How to pack fragile items?
- Prepare or pre-order a durable box of suitable size
- Properly pack the item with bubble wrap
- Use packing peanuts to fill the box bottom
- Place the well-packed item in the centre of the box
- According to the item fragility, use protective internal packaging materials, such as airbags, foam-in-bag etc to fill the void of the box.
- Use craft paper and corrugated inserts to strengthen the box wall
- Seal the close the box by packing tape. You may repeat this step for multiple times for more secure protection.
How to pack large and heavy items?
- Use foam closures and corrugated board to cushion the contents of your heavy package. Avoid using crumpled paper which is less protective
- Close and seal the boxes with heavy-duty tapes. You may reinforce the taping, especially on the seams
- Use stronger boxes and avoid using old and used boxes since they are less durable.
- If possible, you can put the well-packed parcel into another box and seal it for delivery.
Basic packing steps:
Step 1: Choose a box
In order to cut cost, you may reuse old box(es) but it increase the possibility of parcel damage. Therefore, using a new box each time is the safest choice.
Step 2: Prepare the box
When you are booking a shipment on Spaceship, there will NOT be any packaging available, sender is required to prepare the box themselves and complete the packaging before the courier arrive to pickup
Step 3: Pack the parcel
If it is a fragile item, such as glass or ceramics products, please wrap it with bubble wrap before putting it into the box.
Step 4: Fill the void
Especially shipping fragile items, in order to prevent damage inside the box, you need to use protective materials, such as bubble wrap, packing peanut and newspapers, to fill the void to prevent any friction, collision, squeezing, or swaying between the contents and the inner wall of the outer packaging.
Step 5: Seal the parcel
After packing and filling the void, you need to seal the box properly to prevent drop of items. Please use strong parcel tape on all edges of the parcel but NOT glass tape, opaque tape or rope. Then, make sure that there are no nails, hooks or thorns and address or labels that are not related to your delivery in the packaging of the parcel.
Step 6: Measure the size and get quote
Measure and count the number of parcel(s) after it’s fully packaged. Then, enter the size to get the quotation and make an order.
Please remember to complete the above steps since the courier staff only come to pickup the parcel but will not assist in packaging. If the parcel is NOT packed properly, it may result in parcel damage, delay in delivery and even affect insurance claims.
If you have any question, contact our Customer Experience Specialist online!
Apart from packing the parcel, please remember to print out the shipping labels and commercial invoices sent to you along with the Spaceship confirmation email, and give them to the courier staff along with the parcel.